Tag Archives: Monument

Cape Girardeau Confederate Monument Vandalised

From the Southeast Missourian newspaper 10/12/11

http://www.semissourian.com/story/1772540.html?response=no

Photo from the Southeast Missourian newspaper

“A Civil War monument on the grounds of the Common Pleas Courthouse in Cape Girardeau was struck by vandals who spray-painted both sides of the shrine with apparent pro-Union sentiments, nearly 150 years after the last shot was fired.

A two-man crew scrubbed black paint off the monument Tuesday morning. The men, from Marble Hill, Mo.-based Liley Monuments, said they hoped it would be graffiti-free by Tuesday afternoon.

But the message could still be read early Tuesday afternoon. “Go south” was written on the front of the shrine that sits along Lorimier Street near the fountain. That apparently was a request that the marker be moved, not a pro-South message. “We are in the union,” read the words on the back. “Obscene. Remove to [illegible] cemetary (sic) in the south.”

The workers from Liley said Tuesday afternoon they had tried industrial solvent and paint thinner, and the words were faded but still visible. One of the workers said getting the paint completely off Tuesday didn’t “look favorable,” but they would continue working through the afternoon.

By 3 p.m., a blue tarp had been wrapped around the monument and the workers were gone.”

Advertisements

Few attend Union monument dedication at Lexington…

Reports are back from the Sons of Union Veterans dedication of a Union monument at Lexington, Missouri State Historical Site and by all accounts it was sparsely attended by the public.

According to eye-witness accounts approximately 25 individuals (including dignitaries and speakers) were there to witness the event.

Unfortunately, U.S. Rep. Ike Skelton chose to speak at the event, despite being informed that the monument depicted historical inaccuracies and was funded through the republishing and sale of the book, “The Chronicles of Lexington”, which refered to Missourians as “Puke-ites”.  By choosing to attend this event, Rep. Skelton has made a defacto approval of the insults. No longer content to insult his constituents, Skelton has decided to insult the entire State of Missouri.

Instead of letting this event remain a total “negative”  approximately 25 Sons of Confederate Veterans members (including State Commander Jim England) were on hand, at another location of the historic site, to post a color guard at the Missouri State Guard monument and to hand out educational flyers to the public depicting the true events that occurred at The Battle of Lexington , Missouri.

In all six SCV camps from two different states were represented they are as follows:

The Colonel John T. Coffee Camp (Missouri)

The John T. Hughes Camp (Missouri)

The General Sterling Price Camp (Missouri)

The General J.O. Shelby Camp (Missouri)

The Major Utz Camp (Missouri)

The South Kansas Camp (Kansas).

SCV members arrived early and passed out educational flyers at the Visitor’s Center and other locations around the Lexington State Historic Site.

It was a wonderful opportunity to educate the public about Missouri’s TRUE history.

CLICK THIS LINK TO READ EDUCATIONAL FLYER

-webmaster

Utz Camp , SCV and Cockrell Chapter MOSB Support Coffee Camp

From: Billy Ed Bowden

confedman@gmail.com

Saturday September 19,2009

The Major James Morgan Utz Camp 1815 and the Brig. General Francis Marion Cockrell Chapter 84 voted today to support  your press release.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/community/press_release.aspx?id=350457

Thank You , Mr. Bowden , members of the UTZ camp SCV and the Cockrell Chapter MOSB-Webmaster

Civil War Inaccuracies Abound…

From the Sat. September 12, 2009 Columbia Daily Tribune

The Missouri Sons of Union Veterans plans to place a monument to honor the men of Col. James Mulligan’s “Irish Brigade” at the Battle of Lexington State Historic Site.

The monument is to be made of African stone to symbolize the effect that the Civil War had on ending slavery and will praise Mulligan and his men as “defenders” of Lexington.

On Sept. 17-20, 1861, Mulligan’s men, who numbered approximately 2,800, fought 10,000 Confederates led by Missouri’s Gen. Sterling Price.

Under these circumstances, no one can doubt the bravery of the Irish brigade. However, I feel it is important to address the historical inaccuracies of the proposed monument.

The case can be made that in 1861 slavery was not a factor in the war. Being new to the country, the men of Mulligan’s brigade most likely enlisted for a paycheck and citizenship rather than for lofty political ideals.

Of the 2,800 men whom Mulligan commanded, only 350 were German “home guards,” the remainder being from Illinois.

Price’s Confederates were born-and-raised Missourians who were fighting to take their state back from invaders.

The monument was paid for through sales of the book “The Chronicles of Lexington,” written by Henry C. Davis, which refers to Missourians as “pukeites.”

To say that the Federals under Mulligan were fighting to liberate the slaves is misleading; to say that they were “defenders” of Lexington is a lie to fund the monument through the sales of the “The Chronicles of Lexington” and is insulting. 

Clint E. Lacy

press officer

Col. John T. Coffee Camp #1934

Sons of Confederate Veterans

Photos from Shelby Monument Dedication…

The above pictures were generously provided by Billy Ed Bowden, Commander of the Utz Camp  #1815 Missouri Sons of Confederate Veterans. (Just click on the pictures to enlarge)
To read a summary of the June 27, 2009 General J.O. Shelby monument dedication please click on the link below:

General JO Shelby Monument Dedication…

General JO Shelby statue dedicated June 27,2009

General JO Shelby statue dedicated June 27,2009

The only information I have been able to find about the General JO Shelby monument dedication ironically comes from the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Kentucky Division. From the Sons of Confederate Veterans Ky. Division Newsletter “The Lost Cause” July 7,2009 post…

Twenty-six years of organizing, planning and selling of books culminated in a recent celebration of the life of Kentucky-born and educated Confederate Gen. Joseph Orville Shelby. The folks of little Waverly, Missouri, population 807, were determined to honor their hometown hero. They completed their long mission on Saturday, June 27, 2009 with the dedication of the first statue to honor General Shelby.

Jo Shelby was born in Lexington, Kentucky, on December 12, 1830. His father died when he was five years old and his mother then married Benjamin Gratz. Gratz ran a hemp operation. Mr. Gratz was a widower with several sons. He educated his stepson, Jo, at a school in Pennsylvania and then sent him to Transylvania College in Lexington.

Shelby was a friend of John Hunt Morgan and their Confederate military careers would have several similarities. After Shelby dropped out of Transylvania, he was employed for a time at his stepfather’s rope factory. At the age of twenty-one, he received funds from his deceased father’s estate and with one of his stepbrothers, settled in Waverly, Missouri. Located on the banks of the Missouri River, it was in this village that Shelby and his step-brothers began a farming operation involving growing hemp for rope. Their property included a wharf and Shelby also started a shipping and steamboat service. 

Many Kentuckians migrated to Missouri in the 1820’s and 1830’s, and in 1858, Shelby married Elizabeth “Bettie” Shelby, a distant cousin whose family had likewise made the move to settle in Missouri. She was the daughter of a Shelbyville, Kentucky, native.

It was not long before Jo Shelby took part in the border war engagements in 1858 and 1859. His stepbrother wanted no part in the blood letting caused by the Kansas redlegs and returned to Lexington, Kentucky. Another step-brother, Carey, joined the Union forces and was killed in his first engagement. 

Frank Blair, another Kentucky cousin (and brother of Lincoln’s Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair) was stationed in St. Louis. Blair offered Shelby a Union commission when the War started but Shelby refused the offer. 

In 1861, at the Methodist Church located near his plantation, Shelby recruited hundreds of men to the Confederate cause in a matter of hours. He outfitted them with his own money. These men became the core of his famous Iron Brigade. Shelby’s adjutant was John Newman Edwards who wrote glowing accounts about the Missouri Confederate exploits during the War for Southern Independence (and, as a post-war newspaperman largely created the legend of Jesse James). 

Yankee arsonists burned down the Shelby home along with all the outbuildings. 

Captain Shelby led his newly-formed cavalry company into battle at Wilson’s Creek, and then – having been promoted to colonel – he commanded a brigade at Prairie Grove. From September 22nd to November 3rd, 1863, Shelby led his Iron Brigade on what was until then the longest cavalry raid of the war. Shelby’s Great Raid covered 1,500 miles through Missouri, inflicting over 1,000 Union casualties and destroying or capturing roughly two million dollars of Federal property. This feat only his friend John Hunt Morgan would be able to surpass. Shelby’s brigade played a large role in stopping the Union Camden Expedition in 1864, and after that he accomplished the unusual feat of capturing a Union tinclad (the USS Queen City). In the Summer of 1864, he commanded a division in Sterling Price’s Missouri raid.  

General Jo Shelby refused to surrender at the end of the War. He led the remnants of his men, about 1,000, across the Rio Grande River at Eagle Pass, Texas. There they buried the battle flag in that river. Shelby offered their services to Emperor Maximilian as a foreign legion, and though that was declined the emperor granted land for an American colony near Vera Cruz. Wife Bettie and her two young sons were reunited with Shelby there. For their refusal to surrender, these men were dubbed “the undefeated.” “The Undefeated” became the title of a 1969 John Wayne film loosely based on Shelby’s actions. 

In 1867 Shelby and his family returned to Missouri and began a farming operation in Adrian, Missouri. In 1893, President Grover Cleveland appointed him as U.S. Marshal for the Western District of Missouri. 

General Shelby died on February 13, 1897, and was buried at Forest Hills Cemetery in Kansas City, Missouri. He left behind a wife, seven sons and a daughter. Shelby became a folk hero to the people of the devastated Southland, and is still considered one of the greatest Confederate Cavalry leaders. 

This former Confederate resident is the man Waverly citizens wanted so greatly to honor. The states of Kentucky and Missouri had both failed to raise a statue to their brave son and heroic figure. The Shelby marker which rests in Forest Hills Cemetery is rather insignificant considering the accomplishments of this brave leader of men. 

W.L. Pointer and Keith Daleen of Waverly took out a loan in order to purchase to 2,000 copies of the book entitled “Shelby and his Men.”  These books were sold to help raise the necessary funds for a Shelby statue. It took twenty-six years of fundraising, but they did it. May people worked on this project over the long years of fundraising. 

On a blistering hot Saturday afternoon, a ceremony was held to unveil the General Shelby equestrian statute. There were flags, reenactors, singing groups, boy scouts and at least thirty Shelby family members in attendance from several states. Speeches were given by Jim Beckner, John Hinz, Col. James Shelby, Waverly Mayor Barbara Schreiman, U.S. Representative Ike Skelton, Jim England of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the Missouri President of the UDC. 

Two notable no-shows were the key note speaker, our own Kentucky Governor Steve Breshear, and the Missouri Governor, Jay Nixon. Though long scheduled to speak, they both managed to come up with last-minute excuses as to why they could not attend this event. Likely the problem was a sudden appearance of untreatable large yellow streaks on each of their backs, since this Confederate memorial service did not fit the PC guidebook and some intrepid reporter just might have mentioned their attendance in the media. 

The citizens of Waverly, Jim Beckner, John Hinz, Mary MaCoy, Cathy Gottsch, the sutlers, vendors and reenactors deserve our gratitude for a wonderful weekend event. 

If you decide to visit Waverly, don’t miss a chance to see the only remaining original log home that stood upon the Santa Fe Trail. Apparently all the other homes on the old trail have been moved there from various locations. This house witnessed those first Santa Fe freighters, the Union and Confederate soldiers and even stood to attention during Jo’s day. 

Nancy Hitt – 2009

hunleyhitt@earthlink.net

The other information I was able to obtain was from a fellow Coffee Camp member that attended the dedication. 

Harold Simmons informed me that there was a parade of about 100 people and re-enactors and approximately 200 attendees. He also informed me the community of Waverly welcomed the attendees with open arms. 

Mr. Simmons stated that residents of Waverly’s historic district opened their homes and their lawns to the visitors and re-enactors, even letting people camp there. 

Mr. Simmons said despite the Missouri heat many of the antebellum homes had bands and people playing music on them. 

In other words it sounded like Waverly was full of SOUTHERN hospitality. 

Special Thanks to Nancy Hitt for her report on this historic occasion. 

I will continue to seek out more news about this event. If anyone has pictures or stories to share please email them to: 

mobushwhacker@yahoo.com  

-Editor

Irony, Hypocrisy & Twisting the Facts…

From the Missouri Bushwhacker Blog: 

The Missouri Sons of Union Veterans May “The Unionist” newsletter; states that the group plans to place a monument at the Battle of Lexington {Missouri} State Historic Site. 

According to the newsletter {which can be read by clicking on the following link: http://www.suvcwmo.org/images/Missouri%20Unionist%20May%202009.pdf  } 

“Camp Commander Wait and Richard Cochran reported that the final corrections have been made to the working for the Lexington Monument and we are waiting for the stone’s arrival from Africa. Let’s hope no pirates attack that ship! The dedication has been tentatively scheduled for Saturday, September 26, 2009. By that time, a new wayside exhibit will also be in place next to the monument and the Union graves” 

Lexington, was the site of a battle between Missouri State Guard General Sterling Price and Union Colonel James A. Mulligan. 

Information obtained from the Missouri State Parks website about the Battle of Lexington {found at the following address:  http://www.mostateparks.com/lexington/battle.htm } describes Lexington, Missouri as being a “prosperous and strongly pro-Southern town” 

Further information from the website details the sentiments of the populace in the area at the time of the battle:

While Price was advancing on Lexington, a body of 2,700 Federals under the command of Col. James A. Mulligan had fortified themselves inside the grounds of the Masonic College on the northern end of town.

“By the first day of the battle, Sept. 18, Price’s army had swelled to 10,000 to 12,000 men and more recruits were pouring in daily from the surrounding countryside. With the strains of “Dixie” in the air, Price’s men marched through Lexington and completely encircled the college. For the next nine hours, the huddled Unionists received a galling and continuous bombardment of shot and shell.”

The description shows that the sentiment of Missouri was Southern. When General Price laid siege to Lexington men came from around the country side to join Price. The battle lasted from September 18-20th, 1861 and ended when the Missourians under price gained the upper hand by advancing on Mulligan behind hemp bales, making Mulligan’s artillery all but useless.

Mulligan surrendered only after almost all of his men had been wounded and without water. No one doubts the tenacity or bravery of he or the men that served under him but I can’t help but wonder if the Missouri Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War are erecting a monument at the Lexington site to honor General Price’s formidable foes, or is this an attempt to rewrite Missouri history?

The fact that The Battle of Lexington State Historic Site is the location of a great Southern victory early in the war and that the surrounding populace was strongly pro-Southern is enough to make one wonder, howeve r; the most disturbing part of the Missouri SUV’s plans is just how they plan to fund this monument. Again, quoting the May “Unionist” newsletter:

“ANNOUNCING

The Return of a Rare Civil War Book

In 1863, Lexington , Missouri newspaper editor Henry Davis gathered a series of articles into a book entitled , “The Book of Chronicles of the City of Lexington, and Fragments of the Book of Hadborim and Maazim”

In this unique work Davis not only decided to tell the story of the Civil War in Lafayette County, Missouri , but to do so in a humorous Biblical  verse.”

An example of Davis’ “humor” can be found in the following quote from the book:

“Now it came to pass in those days that Claiborne was Governor over the whole land of the ‘Pukites’ and he had dominion over all their cities their chief men, their rule and their Kings”

In another “verse” Davis writes:

“And the people shouted aloud and cried out in the Pukite tongue, Hurrah for Price and Bully for that!”

The newsletter post ends by stating that the proceeds from the sale of the book will go to fund the “Union defenders of Lexington monument at the Battle of Lexington State Historic Site.”                            

Not only is this book a blasphemy to Christians it is a slap in the face to Missourians!  It was common practice for eastern newspapers and Northerners in general to call Missourians “pukes” because of their Southern sentiments.

In Henry K. Davis’ case it is really 

no surprise that he chose to describe Missourians as “Pukites” given the fact that , according to the ‘Bibliographical Review of Cass, Schuyler nd Brown County, Illinois-1892’ :

 “He issued the first daily paper ever published in Peoria, and the first ever published in Champaign County, and during the war published the Lexington Union at Lexington, Missouri. It was a strong Union paper, and there his life was fraught with much danger.”

This information proves several things. It proves that Davis, the author of the book was an out of state Northerner who considered all Missourians “pukes”, the fact that his paper was even published is probably due to the fact that Lincoln and his henchman destroyed all papers  that sympathized with the South.( Mr. Davis’ paper just happened to be named “The Lexington Union”)

The news of the Missouri Sons of Union Veterans planned installation of a Union monument in the heart of the area of Missouri known as “Little Dixie” has more than its share of irony.

The Missouri Sons of Union Veterans is having the monument made from African stone, yet Henry K. Davis who authored the book that the Missouri SUV is hawking later became{ according to the April 1910 Vol. 4 No.3 issue of the Missouri Historical Review} sole proprietor of “The Lexington Union” and in 1866 changed its name to “The Caucasian”.  Another irony given the fact that such a staunch Unionist would give a very supremacist name to his paper one short year after the war to “free the slaves” had ended.

Is it irony? Is it hypocrisy? The truth is a little of both, but one thing is for sure, it is definitely a twisting of the facts and a trampling of some of Missouri’s most hallowed Confederate soil.

Clint E. Lacy